Kev's Big Phat Smokey Greek Meatballs
This is sure to be a hit with the whole family! Big beautiful meatballs seasoned with our Big Phat Greek seasoning!
Thanks to Kevin Edge of Edge BBQ for this delicious recipe!
For the meatballs
500g 20% Beef Mince
500g pork mince
40g Big Phat Greek
For the sauce
400g tin chopped tomatoes
400g tomato passata
1 TBSP Big Phat Greek
1 TBSP Tomato puree
1 diced white onion
3 finely chopped garlic cloves
1 finely chopped red chilli
Grated parmesan cheese
- Set up your BBQ with a direct and indirect zone. Fairly low heat, approx. 150c. Add a chunk of your preferred smoking wood (cherry or oak is best for this recipe in my opinion)
- Mix beef and pork mince with Big Phat Greek rub and form into golf ball sized meat balls
- Place a cast iron pan/skillet on the direct heat and add your meatballs to the indirect area. Allow the pan to heat up.
- Add vegetable oil to the pan and sauté the onions, garlic and chilli. Keep your BBQ lid on as much as possible (to smoke the meatballs) but try to keep the vegetables moving. If they get a little char, that’s ok, adds to the flavour.
- Once veggies are sauteed, add Big Phat Greek, chopped tomatoes and passata and simmer until slightly thickened. If your meatballs aren’t quite ready (internal temperature of 75c) add water into the sauce to loosen.
- Arrange meatballs in your sauce, garnish with parmesan, parsley and black pepper and take a pic for the gram.