Cajun Chicken with Rice & Peas
Toot Toot! Rootin’ Tootin' Cajun Chicken with Rice & Peas
A warming spicy chicken one pot wonder you can cook on the BBQ or hob. Spice it up with chorizo and it's a great way to use the veg at the bottom of the fridge - and freezer favourites like a petit pois! You want a good mix of colours, shapes and textures. Salmon, beef or pork would also work well in this recipe.
We settled on chicken thighs - because thighs have much more flavour than breast meat, and they stay juicy after cooking.
You can make it a thrifty and nutritious family meal using thighs with the skin and bone, that will easily feed four, maybe with leftovers! It’s a quick warming dinner for rainy days. You could always boil up the bones to make a tasty stock.
What You'll Need 👇
- 6 large chicken thighs – deboned, skinned and diced
- 2 Tablespoons Red Cajun Seasoning
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 orange pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 200g mushrooms, chopped
- 280g basmati rice
- 700mls chicken stock
- Olive oil
- 2 large handfuls of frozen peas
- Salt & Pepper
What To Do 👇
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken thighs and chop into pieces. Place into a bowl with 2 tablespoons of Rootin’ Tootin’ seasoning and leave to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Take a large pan, add a glug of olive oil and gently fry the chopped onions, shortly followed by the red and orange pepper. Once they have taken on a little colour, tip in the chicken, cook to sear in the spices.
- Next add the sliced mushrooms, followed by the basmati rice. Give it a good stir so all the lovely flavours coat the grains & pour in 700mls chicken stock.
- Leave it to it to simmer away with a lid on for 20 mins, stirring occasionally. You might need to add a little more water.
- Just before serving added in frozen peas and give it a final stir. Season to taste. Tuck in!