Cajun Shrimp Boil Sharing Platter
As share platters go, it doesn’t get much better than this!
A surf and turf with a difference from the Gulf Coast of Louisiana, with bangin’ flavours from A&O Cajun seasoning mix. The Cajun butter makes everything very lickable from fingers to those red rooster potatoes...
This dish is a great way to gather family and friends around the table, and tuck into delicious seafood, juicy sausage and buttery potatoes, corn, smoked sausage and a few cold beers. This is a failsafe recipe and we want to see your creations. Tag us on Instagram!
Cajun Shrimp Boil with Cajun Butter
- 500g Shrimp or Amity King Prawns
- 12 Head on shrimp or langoustines
- 2 Corn on the cobs
- 8 Red rooster potatoes
- 4 Andouille style or smoked sausages
- 6 Bulbs garlic
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 green & 1 red jalapeno
- 1 Pack flat leaf parsley
- Angus & Oink Red Cajun Rub
- Angus & Oink Red Dawg Apache hot sauce
- Set up your smoker for indirect cooking, add a couple of lumps of cherry wood or hickory. Smoke the sausage until it gets a great mahogany colour and is 75C internal temperature.
- Add 3 Bulbs of whole garlic with the tops cut down and drizzled with olive oil to the smoker. Cook until soft.
- Set up a pan of boiling water and add the potatoes with a pinch of salt and 1 tsp of Red Cajun seasoning. Add one split garlic clove and 2 bay leaf. Allow to simmer.
- Meanwhile make the Cajun butter. Add a whole block of salted butter to a pan and once melted, add in one small finely diced red onion, add the smoked garlic once it is soft and cooked. 3-4 heaped tsp of Red Cajun rub and a pinch of sea salt. Add finely diced jalapenos. Allow to simmer for 20 mins. Add a splash of honey if you like.
- Once the potatoes are near readiness, add the whole corn and steam until tender.
- As we're not dealing with crawfish, we used a frying pan to cook the shrimp with a tbsp of the Cajun butter. Cook the shrimp until they turn pink and absorb some of that delicious flavour from the butter.
- Set up a tray and line it with peach paper or clean newspaper. Drain the potatoes and the corn, slice the corn into sections and split the potatoes in half. Add the sausage, smoked garlic and pour over the shrimps.
- Dress with Cajun Butter and sprinkle with fresh flat leaf parsley. Add lemon wedges and a little hot sauce.