Lamb Meatballs in a Red Pepper Tomato Sauce
Bring home the taste of Italy this summer with this wonderful Italian Lamb Meatball dish. Using the Angus & Oink Italian Stallion seasoning in addition to fresh basil and garlic, these meaty balls of goodness are baked then finished in a rich red pepper tomato sauce. Serve them in pasta or a foot long sub…the choice is yours.
1kg Lamb Mince
4 tbsp Italian Stallion Seasoning
1 Large Red Onion, diced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
200g Parmesan, grated
1 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
500g Charred Red Peppers, sliced
400g Tinned Chopped Tomatoes
2 tbsp Tomato Purée
1 Medium Brown Onion, sliced
Fresh Basil, ripped
- Place all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and combine everything together. If possible, make your own breadcrumbs by blitzing day old bread in a food processor. Once combined, shape the meatballs by hand and place to one side.
- Place the meatballs in a frying pan with a little EVOO and brown all over. Once browned, remove from heat.
- To make the sauce, add a little EVOO to a deep pan and sauté the onion over a medium heat. Add the garlic, charred peppers and chopped tomatoes. Use an immersion blender to form a smooth sauce and then stir in Angus & Oink Garlic and Herb seasoning.
- Place the meatballs in the sauce and gently simmer for around 30 minutes. Stir in ripped fresh basil right before serving. The sauce should be thick and coat the meatballs nicely.
- If serving with pasta, cook as per packet guidelines and serve with meatballs on top. Grate Parmesan on top and serve hot.