Ox Cheek Chilli
Ox cheek chilli by Jack Dadswell
You will need:
- 2-3 ox cheeks
- 1 large onion or 2 smaller onions
- 4 garlic gloves minced
- 100-150g diced chorizo
- 1-2 red peppers
- 150mls red wine (I use Malbec)
- 1 and 1/2 tins chopped tomatoes
- Can of kidney beans
- Red chillis
- A&O Mexican seasoning
- Red dawg/Phat taco
- Chilli flakes (I used chipotle)
1. Set your smoker for 130-140c indirect and prep the cheeks by removing silver skin and season with salt and pepper.
2. Smoked the cheeks until they reach an interval temp of around 70c
3. Once they are to temp (or just before) in a separate pot soften the onion once soft add the garlic and chorizo and cook off for 5-10 mins until the chorizo starts to release its oils.
4. Add a liberal amount of Mexican rub and let it soak up into the oil. Then add and cook off the red wine.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and chilli flakes and bring to a simmer
6. Taste the sauce and more rub or flakes as required. (For an extra kick why not add some red dawg or phat taco hot sauce)
7. Place cheeks in the pot and cover with foil and lid and place back on bbq at around 140c and cook until cheeks probe tender.
8. When ready pull cheeks and add kidney beans and mix in.
9. Can either serve once beans have warmed thorough or later re heated on the hob. If to runny simmer uncovered
10. I served with a lime and coriander rice cuts through the richness of the chilli