Turkish Shakshuka Eggs
This simple yet delicious Middle Eastern dish can be served for breakfast, lunch or as a light snack. On nights where time is tight, it makes for a delicious late dinner too.
The combination of rich Middle Eastern spices from the A&O Baharat Rub, tomatoey onion sauce and soft poached eggs are a match made in heaven. Serve with toasted ciabatta or sourdough.
Serves 2 / Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 400g Chopped Tomatoes
- 200ml water
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 1 Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Angus and Oink Baharat Rub
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander, chopped
- 4 eggs
- Olive oil
- Pour the oil into a hot frying pan then transfer the onions. Stir occasionally and allow the onions to soften.
- Add the peppers and let them soften for 5 minutes before adding the garlic and Baharat Rub. Add the chopped tomatoes and water, mix everything together and let it simmer.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 4 small indents in the sauce and crack the eggs into each of them. Let the eggs poach in the sauce until cooked (around 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat, garnish with chopped coriander and serve with bread.